We really enjoyed the Celeriac Creamy (or Not) soup that I made last week and decided to try our hand at another celeriac combination! So, I looked in our refrigerator to see what I could throw together and thus I present:
Celeriac Surprise Soup
Tasty combination of celeriac, leeks, asparagus and mushrooms.
- 1 Celeriac Root
- 10-12 stalks of Asparagus
- 1 small Leek
- 5 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt (I use Himalayan or Real Salt)
- 1 TB Coconut Oil or Grass-fed Butter
- 1 TB of Olive Oil
- 6 cups Water
- Optional: 1-2 cups homemade beef or chicken broth (I used some beef broth, a little over a cup)
- Optional garnishes: Spoonful of Chilled Coconut Milk, Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, Parsley or other Herbs
- Rinse, peel and chop Celeriac
- Melt oils, on medium heat, in large stock pot and add Celeriac
- While Celeriac is sauteing rinse and chop Leek, Asparagus and mushrooms. Occasionally stirring Celeriac.
- Add Leeks, Asparagus and Mushrooms. Saute and stir about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then cover and turn down to a low boil/simmer for about 2 hours
- After almost two hours add optional broth and simmer another 10 minutes
- Garnish with spoonful of coconut milk, parsley, pumpkin seeds or other favorite garnishes!
- TIPS – I will often add a cup or two of beef or chicken broth during the remaining 10 min – especially the broth that is saved from a roast.